Saturday, June 22, 2013

Takhomasak

Takhomasak may sound like a Native American name but it isn't.  It's the famous phrase from Steak 'n Shake encouraging you to take a sack of steakburgers home with you.
Founded by Gus Belt in Normal, Illinois in 1934 and is still serving up steakburgers, chili, shakes, and more.  I grew up on this stuff and if ever there was anything that would make me move back to St. Louis it would be Steak 'n Shake.
Truly!
The one we stopped at was in Downer's Grove, Illinois, it's a far cry from the original.
Photo courtesy of Steak 'n Shake
Right before the crowd got there.
They used to have car hops which of course on a summer's night you JUST had to do.  You'd roll down your window 3/4 of the way and they would attach a tray with your steakburgers, etc.

Takhomasak.  Well I didn't bring home any steakburgers I did bring home their chili in a can.  So good, so incredibly good.  I've got quite a few posts coming up now from my vacation to Lake Geneva, WI.  Stay tuned as they say.

In sight it must be right!*

*Slogan of Steak 'n Shake.

No comments:

Post a Comment